Dec 15- 19 Salmon Cakes



Dec 15     Salmon Cakes
Dec 16  
Dec 17
Dec 18



I spent the entire day on Thursday baking and making candy because on Wednesday night we decided we would go to Mexico and we had to leave on Saturday. That suddenly meant that I would have to have all of my baking done by Friday morning so I could package up treats for The Kid's teachers etc. Since I spent the entire day working with nothing but chocolate, sugar, butter and more sugar, I wanted something really simple and quick and light and I didn't want to have to do a big grocery shop so I had to turn to the pantry. It was either salmon cakes or a can of pork and beans with toast and although the can of beans was tempting me like nobodies' business, I couldn't really write about that, now could I? Not now, after lasting for 11 months and two weeks of endeavouring to make not just something different every night but something kind of worth talking about. Not that salmon cakes are the most exiting thing in the world but it's better than heating a can of beans, right?

Sorry for the bad iPhone photo but The Kid ate the extra salmon cake I had tried to sneak into the fridge so I could take a pretty picture tomorrow in the daylight.


Salmon Cakes

1 213g can pacific wild salmon
1/4 cup panko and then another 1/4 cup or so for dredging
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/3 shallot, finely chopped
1 heaping tbls of kewpie mayonnaise if you have it or regular if you don't
1 tbls black sesame seeds
a squeeze of lemon (i squeezed in half of a meyer lemon)
the zest from half of the lemon
kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper to taste
1 egg yolk (I would normally use a whole egg but I had yolks leftover from making meringues)


Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. I put it in the fridge for about 45 minutes to firm up and then I take it out and form my little hockey puck sized patties. Dredge them on both sides with more panko.

Heat a frying pan over med heat and add a bit of oil. Fry them for about 4 or 5 minutes per side so they get nice and crispy.

We ate them with a salad with a japanese sesame dressing. I also put them on a nest of really thin rice vermicelli and if you want to do that you just put the nest of dry noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let it sit for about 3-5 minutes until it's softened and then drain it and rinse it under cold water and let sit and drain in a strainer while you get the salad ready.

Comments

  1. Hello,
    This dish is looking so beautiful ,i thinks it's so spices ............

    Salmon Fish Oil Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment