Chipotle Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

After eating so much pasta over the weekend, I was hoping for something veggie-based for dinner on Monday. Austin's bags of summer-shucked corn were calling to me from the freezer so I knew that was my starting point. I figured a corn chowder was the quick ticket but sought out a sweet potato version as something slightly new and different, with the chipotles for a bit of a kick too. You could definitely choose to puree this into a smooth soup, but I wanted something chunky and hearty so I didn't bother. Just as well since Maddie made it clear she really just wanted corn chowder so she spent 20 minutes carefully spooning out all the sweet potatoes, bacon and onions, and then happily sipped away at the remaining corn/stock combo. Two soups in one is always a good thing.


Chipotle Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
serves 4
2 whole sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups corn
8 slices bacon, cubed
1 cup onion, peeled and diced
2 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp marjoram
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1/2 cup cream or milk

Fry up the bacon in a large saucepan. Once crispy, remove and set aside, leaving some of the bacon fat in the pot. Add the onions, corn, marjoram and thyme, and saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the diced sweet potatoes, stock, seasonings and peppers and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If you want your chowder on the smooth side, blend half of the soup with a handheld blender and then add back to the chunky part. I wanted a real chowder so I skipped this step. Finally, add the cream or milk if you'd like it a bit creamy. Top with crumbled bacon.

Comments