Sept 29-Oct 2 Japanese Chicken Curry



Sept 29     Meatloaf from SupperWorks potato/arugula pancakes with feta
Sept 30     Dinner out to celebrate the birthday of a friend  
Oct 1        Japanese Chicken Curry
Oct 2        Mid Afternoon Dim Sum which left us all too full for supper



The Kid loves all things Japanese so this week I made him a curry. He likes Japanese curries because they are sweet and rarely spicy at all . Well, that and the mere fact that it is Japanese alone makes it better. I am going to be honest here, and admit that I use store bought curry base because every Japanese person I know also uses store-bought  curry base so you can use it too, guilt free. I am sure I am now going to be inundated with emails from all of you who only make this stuff from scratch and that's cool because I would love to try that too at some point but, for now, I am using the pre made curry blocks.  It's a popular dish here so I am sure I will make it again but use different meat/veg the next time. It's not the prettiest meal I have ever had to photograph but it is easy and tasty, it's quick and it just gets better the longer it sits in the fridge so it's the gift that just keeps on giving in terms of tasty lunch for me for the rest of the week.


Japanese Chicken Curry
serves 4-5 (it is great as leftovers - gets better as it sits)

1 onion (or in my case 4 shallots because I didn't have an onion) in bite sized dice
2 large carrots, diced into bite sized pieces
2 large potatoes, diced into bite sized pieces
about 1 tbls veg oil
300 grams boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1.5 cups chicken stock
1.5 to 2 cups water
100 grams curry sauce mix

Heat the oil in a deep frying pan that accommodate the finished curry. Throw in the onions and cook until they start to just take on some colour before adding the chicken. Saute the chicken until it starts to brown and then add the potato and carrot and cook for a few more minutes. Add the stock and 1.5 cup of the water (or just 3 cups of water if you want), cover, lower the heat to med low and cook it until the veggies and chicken are cooked, about 20 minutes or so. When it's cooked, this is the time to add the curry sauce. It generally comes in a block. The brand I use has two blocks in a package and I use one of them for this amount of curry. Stir it in and continue to stir until it melts and incorporates and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Taste it at this point and if it seems thicker than you would like, add a bit more water, stir and check and do this until you get a consistency you are happy with. It is quite a thick sauce but some people don't like it that thick, it's up to you. Serve with rice.

Comments