Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic & Herbs

September 14 - take out pizza
September 15 - egg sammies with homemade tomato jam
September 16 - Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic & Herbs

I was flying solo for dinner on Friday.  They Boy took off for the cottage to help his dad out with some chores around the house.  So it was me and the pups all weekend long.  I have been craving mussels like crazy lately.  While the Boy likes them and will eat them I always feel like they are more my kind of thing than his.  I originally saw this recipe over at Joy the Baker and knew I had to make it.  Having a night to myself seemed the perfect opportunity to get after it.  I happily made it to the grocery store when they still had the fish counter open, snatched up a delicious and cheapie bag of mussels, half of a baguette and rushed home to make this delicious sounding dinner.



And boy was it delicious!  I sat at our coffee table, with a glass of wine, some bread and my bowl of mussels.  No silverware just using the shells to dig the wonderfully tender mussels out of their shells, sopping up the spicy tomato sauce with bread.  It was a beautifully rustic meal, which I love and I half wish I had been able to share with someone.  It's that good and beyond easy.  You have to make this, week night, weekend, just for you or for company.  I promise you won't be disappointed.


Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic & Herbs
adapted from epicurious


  • 2 tablespoons

  • 1 whole garlic clove 

  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal

  • 2 teaspoons salt

  • 2 pounds Prince Edward Island mussels (or other black mussels)

  • 2 cups tomato puree

  • 1 cup dry white wine

  • 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

  • 1 handful fresh chive stems (about 40), halved

  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced

  • 1/2 cup fresh oregano


  • 1. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sliced garlic, scallions and salt, stirring occasionally, until scallions and garlic color slightly, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add mussels, tomato puree, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until mussels open, 1 to 2 minutes. (Discard any mussels that don't open.)
    3. Uncover pan and add herbs; toss to combine. Divide mussels evenly among 4 bowls and spoon broth over them.

    Comments