Oka & Apple Butter Grilled Cheese with pickled carrots & beans


This post has been posted here a week late but this sammie was so delicious and simple I had to share.

When I'm able to create something so tasty almost exclusively from things I generally keep on hand, I'm a happy girl.  Oka cheese is a semi-soft cheese out of Quebec that has been made by monks for years.  I'd love to be able to give the history of it, but I'm rushing to get this written up right now, while the bosses are in a meeting. But google Oka cheese and try to find it from your local cheesemonger.  I promise you won't regret it.  It goes amazingly well with fruit and melts perfectly on a grilled cheese.  It's a definite fave in our house and something I pick up whenever we run out.


When I got home from work last night I was fried but knew I had to make something to post, when I remembered we had some Oka and a Cheddar bread made at a bakery up near the in-laws which we had brought home fromt he weekend.  Grilled cheese was a no brainer and I almost went as simple as just cheese and bread with some garden tomatoes, when I remembered I had some homemade apple butter in my preserves storage.  I knew that would make the sandwich exactly as special as I needed it to be. All put together you have a rich and gooey sandwich that is slightly sweet that goes perfectly with some spicy pickled carrots & beans.

Oka & Apple Butter Grilled Cheese
makes 2 sandwiches

4 thick slices of cheddar bread
1 6-8oz wedge of Oka Classique - cut into slices
1/4 cup apple butter - I make a couple jars of this recipe every few months, using whatever apples I can find cheap.
unsalted butter

1.  Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat. Heat the oven to 300F
2.  Butter one side of each of the slices of bread.  On the non buttered side of two slices, pile on the oka cheese, dividing it evenly between the two.
3. Top each mound of cheese with 2 Tbsps of apple butter and the remaining slice of bread, buttered-side up.
4.  Carefully transfer to the skillet and grill until golden, about 5 minutes.  Carefully flip the sandwiches with a spatula and cook for another 5 minutes.
5.  Transfer the pan into the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is ooey-gooey and melted.  Remove from the oven and remove the sandwiches to a cutting board to rest for 5 mnutes before slicing and servings

Comments