Roasted Parsnip Soup


While Austin and I were walking the boardwalk together the other morning, I decided to pick his brain for ideas for dinner since I was coming up empty on my own. Although I was toying with the thought of paninis, he was remembering the caramelized roasted parsnips we'd served his buddy the other night and he asked for them again, but this time in some form of soup. Easy enough to do. I guess he can feel the fall in the air and the natural transition back to comfort foods. Not to say that I'm ready to cover the BBQ for the season but autumn is definitely around the corner. Quick meal to prepare, appreciated by the requestor and lots of leftovers for the next day since Q is in London and I went out to Table 17 with Carole and other friends from the gym for our annual Pretty Summer Dress night out. We both had the most delicious trout with corn salsa and avocado puree as well as an amazing panna cotta. But the real star of the evening wasn't the food but Carole, dressed in a totally fierce little black dress with sophisticated cut-outs at her neckline, paired with strappy sexy wedgy-heels. And if you think she's entertaining to read on-screen, her lightning-quick one-liners and razor-sharp wit/view of the world kept us all laughing for the entire night. I'm one lucky girl to have her as a friend, walking companion, blogging mentor and cooking pal.


serves 6


1 1/2 lbs parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped (cut them into smaller pieces than mine above so they'll puree easily without spraying the entire kitchen in the process... my mistake)
4 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 rib celery, diced

1 clove garlic, minced, or 3 roasted cloves

1/2 cup white wine

4 cups chicken stock

1 tsp chopped fresh thyme

1 tsp chopped fresh sage

drizzle of whipping cream


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parsnips and garlic cloves on baking sheet and toss with 2 tbsp of oil. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes or until fork-tender.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onions and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add white wine, stock, parsnips, garlic and herbs and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Puree soup with a handheld blender. Stir in the cream and season to taste.

Rest of the week


Aug 26 Grilled chicken souvlakis and assorted roasted veggies


Aug 27 Date night at Queen Margherita pizza... possibly one of the best pizzas of my life


Aug 28 Banished from house so Corbin could have BBQ for all his work buddies; forced to eat at golf club


Aug 29 Roasted parsnip soup for Austin; Table 17 with the girls for me

Comments

  1. Dianne, either you are gearing up to borrow $10 from me or you have been hit in the head with a heavy Le Creuset dutch oven lol!
    This soup looks delicious - These brisk mornings have had me pining for soup suddenly and I check the blog and there is a delicious soup! I might make a soup today myself

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment