Green & White Halibut Ceviche


August 6 - dinner out at the Bowery

Since we went out for dinner last night, I'm sharing my contribution for our dinner tonight.  The Boy is in charge of much of dinner, which will include smoking some sausages we bought at the St. Lawrence Market yesterday.

I've spent much of the day making preserves from all of the amazing seasonal produce I bought at the market and some from our backyard garden.  It's pretty freakin' hot here today and while I know the sausages will be tasty and I'm excited to try them, I've been craving some citrusy fresh ceviche.  So I asked the boy to pick me up some halibut on his way home from a meeting this morning.


I made this a green and white ceviche because of the green onions, green tomatoes and jalapeno that I harvested today.  from our garden.  Along with the cilantro I realized that I in fact was only using green vegetables with the white fish. While I usually love the pops of red from the tomato and purple from the red onion, this green and white version looked surprisingly tasty and was the perfect thing on this steamy hot day.


Green & White Hallibut Ceviche

1 lb halibut  - cut into bite-sized pieces
5-6 limes
10 soft corn tortillas
canola oil
2-3 green onions - minced
1/2 jalapeno - finely minced
1 small green zebra tomato - seeded and finely minced
small handful of cilantro - roughly chopped
splash of extra virgin olive oil
sea salt

1.  In a glass, or other non-reactive bowl, toss the fish in the juice from 3-4 limes, so it's just barely covered in lime juice.  Cover in plastic and place in the fridge for 1-4 hours, tossing periodically to make sure all of the fish has some contact with the lime juice.
2.  While the fish marinates.  Heat a large skillet with 1-2 inches of canola oil over medium heat.  Stack the corn tortilla and cut into quarters.  Fry the tortilla wedges in batches in the hot oil.  Removing to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkling with sea sat.
3.  Once the fish is done marinating, drain in a fine mesh sieve.  Rinse out the glass bowl and place the fish back in the bowl.  Toss the fish with the green onion, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro.  Squeeze 1-2 lime over the fish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.  Give one more toss, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and cilantro.  Cover with plastic and place in the fridge for about 30 more minutes to let the flavors marry.
4.  Enjoy with the homemade tortilla chips.

Comments

Post a Comment