Chipotle Mango Pulled Pork & Slaw



August 17 - Chipotle Mango Pulled Pork, with a green salad and pickled beans 
August 18 - Leftovers from Queen Margherita Pizza
August 19 - late munchies at the Fill Station


The slow cooker is my savior when I'm working.  Unfortunately much of what I make in it is pretty hearty and not exactly the kind of food you want to be eating in the summer.  The one thing that's perfect in the summer, well just about anytime if you as me, is pulled pork and it is oh so easy in the slow cooker.


I'm a meat hoarder.  When there is a good deal on whole chickens or pork shoulders I buy them up and throw them in our chest freezer.  Early in the week I realized I hadn't made pulled pork in quite some time and figured I should get on it.  First because it's delicious and a guaranteed hit on our house but also because it's a perfectly easy weeknight meal and I had a shoulder in the freezer just begging to be used,  a benefit of meat hoarding.  The beauty of pork shoulder is that it takes alot for it to dry out, so while chicken can get quite dry in the slow cooker if you get stuck at work late, pork just gets more delicious.  


I developed this recipe for pulled pork a couple years ago and it's my go to recipe.  Super easy and packed with flavor you can't go wrong.  When I have some more time and after this year is over I may play around with a dry rub on the meat and giving it a good sear before adding it to the crock. Though it will dirty another dish and make it a little less through in the crock and go, it may be worth it.  


I just can't seem to cook more than two dinners a week when I'm working.  I fully intended to use the leftover pork for tacos on Thurs or Friday but my days got long and I just couldn't do it.  We'll be having it tomorrow, so they won't go to waste.  But I do want to work a bit harder to put some more home cooked meals on the table.  


Do you have any tricks or tools for weeknight dinners when life is busy.  I'm sure you mom's out there must have some that you're gearing up to use with it being back to school time and all.  I'm a terrible meal planner, but am open to any and all suggestions.


Chipotle Mango Pulled Pork
serves 6

1 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder - trimmed of any excess fat
1 - 2 large mangoes - cubed
1 large onion - diced
4 cloves of garlic - minced
2-4 chipotle chilis canned in adobo - seeded deveined and chopped (depending on how much heat you want I use 3)
1 Tbsp adobo from the canned chilis
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup whiskey
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt & pepper
buns or bread of your choice
Some super easy & tasty Buttermilk Slaw - I used packaged cole slaw mix and just added some fennel.  I only let is sit salted for about 30 minutes and it was still tasty.

1. Place pork shoulder in slow cooker and cover with vinegar, ketchup, whiskey, mango, onions, garlic, chilisadobo and spices. Set to cook for 8 hours on high.
2. At the end of the cook time, carefully remove the pro shoulder from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir with the remaining liquid.
3. Serve on warmed buns, topped with slaw.

Comments