Aug 1-3 Teriyaki Salmon, take 1



Aug 1     Chili peanut tofu with rice noodles from Donna Hay (subbed chicken with tofu)
Aug 2     Teriyaki Salmon
Aug 3

This week is all asian baby. Chili peanut tofu rice noodles Monday for dinner, Vietnamese at MiMi for lunch Tuesday, teriyaki salmon for dinner and.....
A couple of weeks ago we ate at Vivetha, in the Beach, and Hank had teriyaki salmon. He has NOT shut up about it ever since and to be honest, I don't really want to take him to a restaurant so he can eat an $18 entree on a regular basis so I decided it was time to try to perfect my own teriyaki. Up until Vivetha, he liked teriyaki well enough but never totally loved it so I rarely made it at home. I liked the sound of the recipe I found on the blog, Life is Great so that was my base. She had a delicious sounding recipe for ginger scallion noodles that I am going to do soon, but rice was requested so I made basmati rice. I did add some ginger to the sauce and I sprinkled the finished salmon with some black and white sesame seeds.
It was declared "very good but not quite as good as Vevitha" so it seems that at least I am in the ballpark for now. Next time I will crisp up the skin in the frying pan and then transfer the fish to a rack to put under the broiler so that the sauce doesn't totally burn into a hard crust under the skin, but otherwise, it was really delicious.

Salmon Teriyaki
adapted from Life is Great
serves 2

2 tbls mirin
2 tbls sake
2 tbls honey
2 tbls soy sauce
1/2 tsp grated ginger

1 lb salmon fillet, skin on

combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over med heat until it starts to thicken - just 4 or 5 minutes will do it. Set aside.

Preheat the broiler and move the rack to the top of the oven.

heat a pan over med-high heat and then add about a tbls of veg oil. Put salmon, skin side down, in the pan and let cook until the skin is crisp. Transfer the fish, skin side down, to a rack set over a baking sheet lined with tin foil and broil for another 5 -7 minutes, basting two or three times with more teriyaki sauce until the fish is cooked and the sauce has caramelized and started to bubble and brown on the top of the fish.

Comments

  1. Looks beautiful and rather tasty. I can never pass up a teriyaki fish. It always taste so good and the texture remains wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment