Spicy Mango Pineapple Hot Dogs


July 12 - Spicy Mango Pineapple Hot Dogs and my own take on Carole's fancy-pants poutine
July 13 - grilled pork meatballs with roasted garlic, grilled tomatoes & orecchiette
July14 - leftover pasta

We went to a BBQ on Saturday and I had what must have been the most disappointing hot dog ever. What that did for me is make me really want a good hot dog.  A juicy one that's just a bit charred and crispy on the outside.  You may think it's weird me waxing on about a hot dog, but they are one of my favorite BBQ foods. There is something about eating one on a nice soft bun on a hot summer day, be it in the backyard or in the stands at a baseball game, that just always puts a smile on my face.  I'm pretty traditional when it comes to toppings, ketchup, mustard & relish.  Or if I'm in LA and at Pink's, it's chili cheese dog with red onions all the way. In New York at Gray's Papaya it's just red onions, maybe some mustard.

Last year Rachel over at Coconut & Lime posted a Hawaiian-inspired hot dog that just stuck with me.  Based on the fact that is one of her top 10 posts of all-time, it apparently stuck with other folks too. Knowing I wasn't ready to waste my standard go to hot dog just yet in the summer, I figured Wednesday was the best time to get after it.  The one thing I love about this challenge, and I have to say there aren't many things I love, is the fact that I am forced to go back to all of my bookmarked recipes and actually use them.  I'm happy to say that many of them have been winners and will stay bookmarked too.


This puppy is a winner all the way, I've never gone with anything spicy on my hot dog before and I have to say I loved it, especially paired with the sweet mango and pineapple.  I understand the combo might sound weird to some of you but if you like all of the components I urge you to try them all together.  This is perfect summertime BBQ food and something that will absolutely be made next summer, or maybe I'll cheat a bit and make for lunch up at the cottage one day.

Spicy Mango Pineapple Hot Dogs
adapted from Coconut & Lime
serves 2-4

Ingredients:
4 ballpark-style hot dogs
4 soft buns - whatever your favorite standard bun is, no need to get fancy here

for the mango-pineapple salsa:
1/2 mango, cubed
1/2 cup cubed pineapple
1/2  small red onion, chopped
1 tablespoons minced jalapeno
juice of 1/2 lime

for the jalapeno sauce:
3 jalapenos, seeded
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 shallot
juice of 1/2 lime
salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat your grill over medium heat. 

2. Place all of the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender (food processor worked far better) and pulse until very smooth. Set aside. 
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the salsa ingredients. Set aside. 
4. Place the hot dogs on the heated grill and grill until there are nice grill marks and some crispy bits. Place in buns, top with the fruit salsa and drizzle with sauce.

Comments