July 3 Hummuganoush



I had much bigger plans for dinner Sunday night but they slowly fell apart, they way they tend to do when life calls the shots. Little Shack called late in the afternoon to ask if he could sleep over at his friend's house and Shack seems to either be on his way to being deathly ill or he is gunning to win the Mancademy Award for best mansick of 2011. Either way, I am on my own for dinner and to be perfectly honest, if I didn't have to post back to back, I would have taken myself out for some nice butter chicken but that was not a viable option.



I had already decided to make hummus with roasted eggplant so that we would have it for lunches for the week so it made sense to just make it my dinner. Not exiting, for sure, but tasty with some pita and tomatoes and the rest of my sheep's milk cheese curds. I bought a hummus with eggplant from a nice Greek lady a few weeks ago and it was mind blowingly good so this is my first attempt to replicate it. I will be honest and admit that this is not mind blowingly good but it is still very tasty and definitely worth making. I will continue to hone this recipe over the summer until I feel like I have it right and will blog about it on The Yum Yum Factor, I am sure. Maybe next time I will roast the eggplant over a charcoal fire on the bbq to get a smokier flavour from it.

Hummuganoush

1 eggplant
3 cloves garlic
3 tbls tahini
3 tbls olive oil (plus just a bit to rub on the eggplant)
juice of 2 lemons
1 1/2 tsp cumin
pinch cayenne
pinch kosher salt
1 can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
zest of one lemon
(i didn't add a handful of parsley but I suggest you do, so a handful of parsley)


Preheat the oven to 425. Rub the eggplant with a bit of olive oil - just enough to make sure its got a light coating of it. Roast the eggplant for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool so you can easily handle it. Split it down the middle with a knife and scoop out all of the pulp. Put in a bowl and set aside.

Put the garlic in the bowl of a food processor and chop it up. Then add the lemon juice, the tahini and the oil and process that until smooth. Next, scrape in the eggplant, add the lemon zest, cumin, salt and the cayenne and give it a whirl. Lastly, add the rinsed, drained chickpeas and let process for about a minute until it's nice and smooth. If it feels too chunky, you can add a bit more oil or water if you don't want to add more oil for any reason.
When it's all smooth, check it for salt and lemon and adjust if needed.
Normally, I would have added a handful of parsley along with the garlic but my parsley had seen better days so I left it out but if I make this again, I will add parsley.

Comments