July 18-20 Chicken Tacos



July 18     Movie popcorn and then snacked on leftover ribs
July 19     Dinner out at Gio Ranna's
July 20     Chicken tacos


Can I tell you  how hot it has been in Toronto this week? Honestly, it's getting to the point where even I, the sun worshipper, is passing out from heat exhaustion and hiding out in my room, laying under my ceiling fan in the dark just to maintain some sanity.
That said, none of us have huge appetites this week so dinner has not been much of an event although I did really want to try out my new tortilla press and tacos are always good to eat, even when it's a bazillion degrees outside. These were very simple little tacos, no bells and whistles, no fancy sauces or anything. Just really flavourful and quick and easy to throw together and perfect for a stinking hot, summer night.





Chicken Tacos
makes enough for four people

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbls lemon/honey dijon mustard ( I use Kozlick's )
1 tbls olive oil
juice from half a lime

mix together the mustard, oil and lime juice and coat the breasts. Set aside for at least an hour or so or even overnight. When it's time to eat, cook them - you can grill them or cook them on a grill pan. Slice them up and set aside for taco making.

Corn tortillas
2 cups masa harina
2 cups warm tap water

mix together the masa  harina and the water and cover and let it sit for about 15 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. When it's time to make your tortillas, check it and if it feels a bit dry, add more water, a tbls at a time until if feels like soft cookie dough.
Preheat a dry cast iron griddle or pan over med high heat.
 Divide it up into about 16 golf ball sized balls and cover. Take one ball at a time and either roll it out really thin or use a tortilla press (wrap the two discs in plastic wrap) to press out each tortilla.
Cook the tortillas for about 30 seconds per side (they should puff up) and wrap them in a clean tea towel until you are done all of them. You can let them sit, wrapped in the warm tea towel for 10 or 15 minutes as well.

Pico de gallo
1 pint of grape tomatoes, diced fine
2 tbls sweet onion diced fine
1 clove garlic, grated
juice of 1 lime
cilantro to taste - I love cilantro so I use quite a bit
pinch kosher salt

mix all together and set aside. I like to make mine at least an hour ahead to let the flavours mingle and get to know each other better.

guacamole
instead of the traditional pickled onion, I am using some of my pickled onions from my salad last week
thinly sliced cabbage
crema or plain sour creme if that's what you like

So, to assemble, you put out bowls of all of your ingredients and let everyone make their own:
tortillas, sliced chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, pickled red spring onions, crema and thinly sliced cabbage. I always put out some sort of habernero hot sauce for myself since I don't put chilis in the salsa or the guacamole out of respect for The Kid.

Comments

  1. Your tacos look delicious. I love the fresh made tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me drool! I want this right now!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment