July 9 - dinner out at Baton Rogue in the 'burbs
July 10 - Pork Kebabs courtesy of the boy
July 11 - Grilled Lemony Zucchini Pizza and Grilled Pizza with sliced tomatoes, red pepper & Cottage Gold
July 12 - Feast of Niagara wines, cheeses & charcuterie
The heat is still insane, making cooking the house the last thing I want to do. Luckily we have a gas grill which makes my life so much easier, especially since it makes an AMAZING pizza.
On Monday night we watched our nephew while his parents had a grown-up night out. The boy go home a bit later than expected to watching him was my job for much of the night. And I was just not comfortable dealing with grilling a pizza until I had some back-up with the toddler. When he finally got home form a long day at work, I handed the little guy over and got to working on our pizzaz. Luckily I had the foresight to prep the ingredients before the little bugger arrived making the coking go fast, which was extra lucky since we were starving!
I had seen this pizza when it was originally posted on Smitten Kitchen and it's been one of those one's that was bookmarked forever, not because either of us like zucchini all that much, it was just so darn pretty and fresh looking that I knew I'd have to try it. The fact that my favorite organic veggie vendor at my local farmers market had yellow and green zucchini made it clear that this was the week to make it. This pizza is awesome and this is coming from two non-lovers of this lovely summer squash.
The second pizza I made was a basic one that I just threw some garlic oil, sliced tomatoes, chopped red pepper, mozzarella and some Cottage Gold cheese that we picked up in Niagara over the weekend at the Upper Canada Cheese Company. Simple but packed with fresh flavor.
Grilled Lemony Zucchini Pizza
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 lb of your favorite pizza dough - I used ABin5 olive oil dough
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
1/2 medium yellow zucchini, sliced as thinly as you can with a knife or mandoline
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your grill over medium heat, or until it's 450F. Roll the dough into a thin 12-inch circle or circle-ish, mine was more of an oval, and lay it on a cookie sheet that has been dusted lightly with cornmeal.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the goat cheese with the juice of half your lemon. Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Lightly oil your grill grates. Place the dough on the grill, close the lis and cook for about 5 minutes - until the underside has light grill marks and the top has started to set.
4. Remove the dough to a dusted cookie sheet or pizza peel, with the grilled side up. Make sure to close the grill to maintain heat.
5. Spread the goat cheese mixture over the crust. Arrange your zucchini coins in concentric circles over the goat cheese spread, overlapping them slightly. Squeeze the juice of the second half of your lemon on top of you zucchini, then drizzle with olive oil and finish with more salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Carefully return to the grill and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the bottom of the crust is golden brown and crispy.
7. Remove from the grill and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.