Asparagus & Brie Frittata


June 12 - 5-spice rotisserie chicken with soy glaze on the grill with green beans & fiddleheads
June 13 - pizza delivery
June 14 - asparagus frittata with brie and a green salad

I'm in a bit of a cooking funk.  It may be because I just haven't been sleeping well and by the time dinner time rolls around I'm just too drained to even care.  Which would be why we ordered takeout on Monday and why I really wanted to last night too.  We had spent the day in Buffalo taking care of some immigration stuff and doing some shopping.  By the time we got home I was drained, but I knew I need something to share today, since my rotisserie chicken while it was tasty and sounds impressive was far from photo worthy or a recipe worth sharing without some serious tweaking.


Luckily I had been planning on making this frittata for a few days.  It was on the plan because I had a ton of asparagus leftover from my pickled asparagus tips.  See when you pickle asparagus you are left with the woody ends and then a goof 3-4 inches of beautifully tender asparagus.  I could have pureed it with the woody ends for freezing but I wanted to use some of ti while it was still fresh.  Since these parts of the stalks aren't exactly gorgeous I knew I'd need to cut them into rounds, which was when I realize that a frittata would be the perfect application.  Paired with some creamy, melted brie and I figured I'd have a winner on my hands.

It tasted great and the best part was it came together in less than an hour.

Asparagus & Brie Frittata
serves 2-3

1/2 lb of asparagus - sliced into 1/2" rounds
6 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan
4 small sprigs of flat-leaf parsley - roughly chopped
2 oz brie - sliced
unsalted butter
salt & pepper

1.  Heat a small saute pan over medium heat.  Add a Tbsp or 2 of unsalted butter to the heated pan and add in the asparagus and saute until just tender.  Remove to a small bowl and reserve.
2.  In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, parmesan, flat-leaf parsley and some salt & pepper.
3.  Preheat the oven to 375F. Heat a 10" skillet over medium heat and when beads of water dance across the surface add in a Tbsp or 2 of unsalted butter.  As it melts coat the entire skillet, including the sides.
4.  Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.  As the sides cook, pull the eggs from the side of the pan, letting the uncooked eggs redistribute.
5.  When the eggs are 1/4 cooked, add in all of the asparagus rounds and let cook for a few minutes longer on the stove top.  Place the skillet in the oven and let cook for 7-10 minutes until the eggs are almost completely set.
6.  Remove the pan from the oven lay the brie slices on the frittata.  Turn the oven onto broil and place the pan back in the oven.  Watch carefully and cook until the cheese is melted and slightly golden,
7.  Remove the pan from the oven let sit for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer the frittata to a cutting board, cut into wedges and serve.

Comments