Ramp & Ham Pizza & a Vacation Recap


May 15 - dinner out in Costa Rica
May 16 - cheeseburger at the Counter in Miami International Airport
May 17 - Ramp & Ham Pizza and a mache salad with asparagus and orange segments

Well I am back to reality after 2 1/2 weeks of travel and eating out.  I have to say that as fun as vacation was and as much fab food as I ate, I'm pretty pumped to be back to cooking my own meals. Because of the gluttony I happily subjected myself to during my vacation, I am ready to put the Boy and I on a serious cleanse.  Especially since we will be indulging in two weeks during a birthday trip to Montreal, including a dinner at Au Pied de Cochon which is sure to include a copious amount of foie gras.


A minor hiccup in my whole cleanse plan was coming home late Monday night to find bags upon bags of ramps that the Boy had foraged for up north.  I have great plans for preserving alot of them in pickles, compound butter and pesto (I'm open to any other suggestions too) but one thing I've been wanting to make since last year was ramp pizza.  A friend had told me about how well these lovelies go with ham and out of the necessity of needing to get something on the table for Tuesday night that I could also share with you today, I decided to make a pizza for dinner.  I used a whole wheat pizza dough so that makes it healthier, right?  Regardless it was delish and if you have the opportunity to get your hands on some ramps I highly recommend giving it a try.


Ramp & Ham Pizza
1 pizza

1 lb ball of pizza dough - I used HBin5 Whole Wheat Olive Oil Bread
8-10 ramps - bulbs and greens
3/4 cup grated fontina cheese
2 slices all-natural deli ham - julienned into 1" pieces
1/4 cup grated parmesan
extra virgin olive oil
black pepper & sea salt

1.  Preheat oven with a pizza stone to 450F.  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.  Wash the ramps and trim off the roots.  Submerge in the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute.  Transfer to a colander and run cold water over the ramps to stop the cooking. Remove from the colander and lay on paper towels to dry.
2. Roll the pizza dough out on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel.  Brush the dough with some olive oil.  Top with the fontina cheese, lay the whole ramps on top of the cheese. Sprinkle the julienned ham and parmesan cheese on top.  Drizzle a bit of olive oil and top with cracked black pepper and sea salt.
3.  Carefully transfer the pizza to the pizza stone and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.  Remove from oven to a cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Comments