Marinated Salmon with Mango-Kiwi Relish



Yes, Marinated Salmon with Mango-Kiwi Relish sounds like a perfect summer meal. And yes, I do live in downtown Toronto in the midst of a snowy frigid January... So yes, I also admit that I'm not exactly buying food locally for this particular dish, but I'll cut myself some slack since that wasn't the challenge that the three of us signed up for. When I was checking out the Cooking Light website earlier this week, this recipe just looked so bright and summery and tantalizing that I knew we'd have to eat it sometime very soon in an attempt to feel like everything doesn't have to be traditional comfort foods in the depths of winter.

So today, as I looked out my kitchen window and saw snow-covered squirrels jumping on white branches, my white deck surrounded by white chairs, alongside my white barbecue, it was a little piece of tropical paradise to see the lush yellowy orange of the mango and the vibrant green of the sweet kiwis on my cutting board. Simple pleasures on such a bleak day. I just wish I could have stepped out (without my winter boots and coat) and thrown the salmon on the BBQ instead of grilling it inside. Can't have everything.

Part of what I loved about this recipe was its simplicity... literally less than 30 minutes from grocery bag to table. The 10 minutes of marinating the salmon was the longest part, and I used that time to chop and mix the fruit. Then I quickly grilled the fish and served it with the relish. Voila! The marinade has a perfect salty-sweetness and the crispiness of the fruit provides nice texture and freshness. A definite make-again for all of us. Served it with some steamed broccoli and potatoes.

Marinated Salmon with Mango-Kiwi Relish

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 salmon fillet and 1/4 cup relish)

Ingredients
Salmon:
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray

Relish:
1/2 cup diced peeled mango
1/2 cup cubed peeled kiwifruit
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh orange juice


Preparation
To prepare salmon, combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fish to bag; seal. Marinate 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
While fish marinates, heat grill pan or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove fish from bag, discarding marinade. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
While fish cooks, prepare the relish. Combine mango and the remaining ingredients. Serve over fish.

Comments